Beginning your ECFMG Application
What is the ECFMG and what does it do?
- ECFMG stands for Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
- The ECFMG was established in 1956.
- Its purpose is to assess the readiness of IMGs to enter residency or fellowship programs in the United States that are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
- It is a requirement to take Step 3 of the USMLE licensure exam series
- It is required for you to begin your residency training
- It is required for you to obtain an unrestricted license to practice medicine.
The ECFMG Certification Process!
- The process begins when you apply to ECFMG for a USMLE/ECFMG Identification Number.
- Both medical students and graduates can begin the certification process. However, since one of the requirements for ECFMG Certification is verification of your final medical diploma, you cannot complete the certification process until you graduate and receive the diploma.
- There is no time limit for completing the certification process, but there are specific time requirements for completing the USMLE exams.
- You must be certified by ECFMG before your residency program’s start date, although you may apply to programs and participate in the residency match before your ECFMG Certificate has been issued.
How do you get started?
- First, you must obtain a USMLE/ECFMG Identification Number.
- To do this, you access Interactive Web Applications (IWA) online from the www.ecfmg.org website.
Obtaining the USMLE/ECFMG ID Number…
- The information you provide in IWA becomes a permanent part of your ECFMG record.
- You will need your ID number to use any of ECFMG’s online services.
Completing the Application for ECFMG Certification
- Once you have your ID number, access the Application for ECFMG Certification through Interactive Web Applications (IWA) on the ECFMG website.
- You will be asked to confirm your name, DOB, gender.
- You will be asked to confirm that you are enrolled in or are a graduate of a medical school listed in the IMED directory.
- IMED information is derived from current and historical data collected by ECFMG as it evaluates the credentials of IMGs.
- A medical school is added to IMED once the country in which the school operates recognizes the school.
- You will be asked to confirm your understanding of the purpose of ECFMG Certification and to consent to a release of legal claims.
- You must pay a fee of $50
After you submit your Application…
- Once submitted, your Application usually becomes valid immediately, allowing you to apply for USMLE exams.
- A notification is sent to the email address you provide, confirming receipt of your Application.
- You may use OASIS to confirm that you have submitted the Application.
Summary of ECFMG Certification Requirements
- Submit the ECFMG Certification Application.
- Pass Step 1, Step 2CK and Step 2CS.
- Your medical school must be listed in WDOMS*.
- You must have received the final medical diploma from your medical school.
- Your final medical school transcript must be received by ECFMG and verified by your medical school.
To learn more please contact us by clicking here.