1. Check Your I-20
Make sure that all of the details on your I-20 are accurate.
2. Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee
This fee needs to be paid directly to the U.S. Government before your Visa Appointment at the embassy.
For more details visit: www.fmjfee.com/index
TIP: Remember to print a receipt of the transaction, since a receipt will be needed at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate when you request your F-1 visa.
3. Apply for Your F-1 Visa
You must contact the U.S. Embassy/Consulate to schedule your Visa Interview and obtain your F-1 Visa.
4. Book and Confirm Your Travel
Per U.S. immigration law, you will be allowed to enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the start date listed on your I-20.
5. Make Balance Due Payments
Your tuition must be fully paid no later than 28 days prior to your start date.
If you do not pay your balance in time, your enrollment and I-20 are subject to cancellation.
6. Travel to the U.S.
Make certain you hand carry your required documents for you and any dependents as you enter the U.S. (Do not place in checked baggage).
- Original, signed I-20 for you and any dependents
- Passport that contains your Visa
7. Report to the Kaplan Center On or Before Your First Day
Make sure you bring the needed documents your first day.
- Your I-20, as well as the I-20 for each dependent (if applicable)
- Your Visa, as well as the visa for each dependent (if applicable)
- Your I-94, as well as the I-94 for each dependent (if applicable)
- Your Passport, as well as the passport for each dependent (if applicable)
- Your local address, phone number, and email address
- Proof of Health Insurance
! IMPORTANT INFORMATION
If you experience visa issuance delays and/or any personal circumstances that prevent you from beginning studies by your scheduled start date, please notify us immediately. You will not be able to use the existing I- 20 to enter the U.S. after your start date has passed, so we will need to update your I-20 with a new start date so that you don’t have problems at the Port of Entry.